[Bell Historians] Preshute - why are all 6 G&J bells listed? (Treble added later.)

Ken Webb ken44webb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:04:52 GMT 2021

On 29/01/2021 22:53, Mike Chester wrote:

> I have been asked for some information about Preshute that I don't have.
>
> Does anyone have information about when these bells were listed and
> any reason for their listing?

Well I've just found Dove search facility by founder & giving options by
date etc. very helpful in understanding the 'stock' of G&J bells and how
many are recorded as Listed. (The display by founder detailĀ  shows the
Listing marker next to the date.)

There are 1,597 G&J bells displayed as cast between 1900 & 1950 but it
appears only their 6 bells hung at Preshute are worth Listing? Why?

Same Diocese: Wimborne Minster (back 10), Corfe Mullen (6), Bradford on
Avon CC (8), Holwell (5) etc. are not Listed!

Elsewhere: Notts. St Mary, Birmingham Cath., Manchester Cath., Croydon
Minster and many other substantial rings are not Listed!

Preshute appears to have all 6 G&J bells Listed although the Treble was
added later. So they were not cast as a 6 & I can't see any
justification for their Listing in terms of date/ weight/ number cast as
a ring etc.

Unless there is something 'better' about Preshute bells (decoration? /
all maiden? / canons ?) than the other 1,591 bells cast by G&JĀ  between
1900 - 1950 per Dove, it implies all 6 Preshute bells should be removed
from the formal Listing?

How would that happen?

I assume George Dawson can answer the questions or guide us.

Ken