[Bell Historians] Handbell at Ruthin

peter at plrivet.plus.com peter at plrivet.plus.com
Thu Dec 8 15:32:31 GMT 2022

The date, the location, and the use of lower case lettering suggest to me that this small bell may have been cast by the Ashton family of Wigan.

I enclose a list of known bells from the Wigan foundry prepared by John Greenhough.  You will see that quite a lot of them are found in North Wales.

There is one rogue entry which needs further investigation: a 1665 bell by Ralph Ashton I at Garstang, St Thomas.  I have a strong suspicion that the second 6 is upside down giving a date of 1695, as that would be consistent with a straightforward transfer of the foundry from the Scott family to the Ashtons, around 1694.

I’ve also attached a picture of one of the two 1723/1724 bells at Heysham, St Peter which was taken just before it and its companion were rehung.  The style of lettering is very similar.

I hope this is some help.

Peter Rivet