[Bell Historians] History of Coronation Ringing

Gareth Davies charollais at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 18:16:18 GMT 2023

With regard to the accession/coronation issue It is also worth factoring in the political circumstances of each reign especially at the end of the 17th century.

There was, of course, no accession as such when William and Mary came to the throne. As a result, it was the coronation anniversary on 11th April that, in Cambridge at least, was celebrated much more regularly than the date when parliament declared William and Mary to be joint monarchs.. Across all the parish churches in Cambridge where the records survive bells rang on 57 occasions for the coronation anniversary and only 5 times for the ‘accession’ during the period from 1689-1702.

The same kind of balance also occurred under James II, but for different reasons. James followed Charles II in deliberately choosing St George’s Day for his coronation to link the restored monarchy firmly with national tradition.  However, it seems to have provided an opportunity for subtle opposition to his reign. James was extremely unpopular in Cambridge for, amongst other things, interfering with the constitution and membership of the town corporation. It is noticeable that in the churches there, that though there was far more ringing on 23rd April (coronation day) than on 6th February (accession day) it was often specifically described in the churchwardens’ accounts as having been to mark St George’s Day, with no reference to the coronation.

On the other hand, St George’s Day is never mentioned during the reign of Charles II. Where there was ringing on 23 April it was described as being for the coronation. However, instances of accession anniversary ringing far outweighed coronation ringing in this reign (48 to 9 in Cambridge). Not surprising as 29th May also marked the restoration of the monarchy and Charles II’s birthday.

Unfortunately there are no really early records of coronation ringing in the Cambridge records. The Elizabethan entries almost certainly relate to the accession on 17th November.

You mention Roy Strong but I’m not sure whether you have seen his 1958 article on the accession of Elizabeth I?  If you haven’t, amongst other things it traces the spread of accession ringing and makes the point that it was helped by the coincidence of 17 November already being a popular ringing day in the Lincoln Diocese (St Hugh’s Day). He gives an excellent example of how traditions merged and changed in the churchwarden’s entry at Bishops Stortford in ordshire, where two shillings and eightpence was spent in 1575 on 'bred, drinck, and cheese for Ringing on St. Hewes Day in reioysing of the queenes prosperous Ragne’. Email me off list if you don’t already have a copy.

I find this a fascinating subject and I’ll look forward to seeing the article.

Regards

Gareth