[Bell Historians] Oldest five and sixe

Ted Steele bells at tedsteele.plus.com
Wed Feb 22 10:45:32 GMT 2023

On 22/02/2023 10:35, Mike Chester via Bell-historians wrote:
> St Lawrence, Ipswich are the oldest set of 5 bells, not St Clement's
> which are a ring of 6. They were complete by c.1490. St Bartholomew
> the Great, Smithfield are the oldest ring of 5 bells that were all
> cast at the same time, c.1510.

Ah yes! Silly me; I should leave such things until later in the day.
Thanks to all who responded and clarified. I missed that the board
clearly refers to St Lawrence although the item is about St Clement. I
assumed that the front five were being referred to. However the claim to
be the oldest "set" of five did mislead me into thinking that a "set"
cast together as such was intended.

Ted