[Bell Historians] Hatfield Yorkshire

Ted Steele bells at tedsteele.plus.com
Thu Feb 23 23:16:58 GMT 2023

 From what was told me by someone who knew it from others who were (I
think) involved, the last ringing was in c1956. It was thought, as also
in the case of nearby Fishlake to have been due to mining subsidence but
to the best of my knowledge in neither instance has this ever been shown
to be correct. (If it was then the NCB would have been respobsible for
repairs). It was related to me that the ringers involved got out of the
tower in double quick time when bits of masonry began to fall, but I was
given no further details. It is my opinion, no more, that the falling
masonry was probably from pinnacles and/or window tracery and that the
damage got repaired as part of general repairs to the tower which were
made in later years, without this ever having led to the bells being
declared safe to ring. The reason that they are now unringable arose
somewhat later; I don't know exactly when. It is that a new heating
system was installed that involves a large blower blasting hot air down
through a grid into the church below the crossing. The ducting and other
components of this take up the majority of the space in the former
ringing room and several of the ropes fall on top of these large
obstructions making ringing impossible. The bells are in fundamentally
good condition and are regularly chimed from an Ellacombe apparatus. A
survey a few years ago confirmed that the tower itself had minimal
movement when the accesible bells were rung and that some basic
restorative work could bring them back to good ringing order; this is
however currently precluded by other priorities for church expenditure.
A decision was made to spend a considerable amount on repairing the
heating system as the much more costly option of replacing it was not
feasible. This means that there is no chance of a restoration in the
lifetime of the current heating sytem, which, as I can testify from a
very recent visit, does at least make it possible to enjoy a coffee in a
comfortably warm building. The attached pictures show the problem. I
imagine that further surveys would be required to confirm the current
safety of the tower ahead of any planned restoration. Concurrent with
the survey referred to a similar one at Fishlake confirmed that the
bells are quite properly considered unsafe to ring.

Ted