[Bell Historians] Hatfield Yorkshire

Ted Steele bells at tedsteele.plus.com
Fri Feb 24 11:44:16 GMT 2023

On 24/02/2023 08:04, Roderic Bickerton via Bell-historians wrote:
> .......  When I spoke to the church authorities I was told that the
> heating system is coming to the end of its life and was likely to be
> replaced in the not too distant future, ..... From Ted's reply I would
> guess that that situation has somewhat reversed. Just tapping the
> bells revealed that they would be a truly excellent ring. The frame
> layout is very careful they all swing the same way in the strongest
> direction of the tower. It is a massively constructed timber frame,
> and looks a superb piece of work.

Rod is quite correct in his account of the heating system at Hatfield;
also in his supposition that the position got reversed. Quite simply
when replacement or repair became unavoidable the church could only
afford to repair. He is also correct that the bells are considered a
truly excellent ring; some said the finest in Yorkshire although others
say that honour now belongs to Howden, although they were cast later. I
should have added in my post that I was told by a curate (If I recall
correctly) that the church architect had never seen such distressed
stonework as that on the north side of the tower at Hatfield. This
however seems hard to credit in the light of future developments.

The frame is indeed substantial and was installed in 1876 along lines
proposed by Lord Grimthorp; it was strengthened when the new peal was
hung in 1927. These details are from an article by Harold Walker about
the re-opening of the bells; RW Vol. XXIII, page 38, Jan. 20th 1928.

Ted