[Bell Historians] Identification of a founder from Moulding Wire Patterns

pag.watts at btinternet.com pag.watts at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 22 10:21:05 BST 2023

Good morning all,

Please may I enquire whether anyone is aware of any work done to use
moulding wire patterns as a means to identify the likely founder of an
otherwise blank bell, or even if there is reference material that can be
used to make such an assessment?

Here in Hampshire, we have a rare opportunity to get a close up look at a
single bell while the bell arch is being repaired.  The church was built in
1863, and it would be easy to simply ascribe this otherwise blank bell as
either a 'Mears' or 'Warner' stock bell, but if a more specific attribution
were possible from the pattern of moulding wires that would be a great help.
No other records of the bell are currently available from Colchester
(Hampshire bells), the Diocesan List or Dove.

Grateful for any thoughts or pointers.

Many thx.

Phil

Phil Watts

Bells Advisor, Winchester Diocesan Advisory Committee for the Care of
Churches