[Bell Historians] Bell theft

pickford5040 at gmail.com pickford5040 at gmail.com
Wed May 10 12:14:08 BST 2023

I have been asked to notify list members of a theft of an old bell from a
manor house in Buckinghamshire. It was hung outside the house in an upright
wooden frame, but 'disappeared' some five or more years ago.

It will be readily identifiable by its inscription - GEORGE PUREFOY ARMIGER
DE WADLEY BERKS ME POSSIDET 1656. As can be seen from the photograph it was
an attractive little bell, probably cast by Edward Neale of Burford. It had
an running trail between the lower mouldings. It was intact with a full set
of canons. I have no information on the size of the bell, but I guess it
must have been about 16 to 18 inches in diameter.

If anyone knows of the whereabouts of this bell, or has any information that
might lead to its recovery, then please contact elspethmullineux at gmail.com
<mailto:elspethmullineux at gmail.com>  by email.

Thanks

Chris Pickford