[Bell Historians] Bell-historians Digest, Vol 44, Issue 1

Neil Skelton neilskelton at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 5 06:51:16 BST 2023

Yes, of course I am on this list! Remember my recent contribution on Pune?

Towards the end of July Tim Jackson asked my views on the 'unidentified' bells at Arreton and at Newchurch, both dated 1589. One is tempted to attribute both to John Wallis, particularly as some of his earlier bells did not bear his initials. The late Christopher Dalton observed Wallis's lettering being similar to that on bells by RB, identified by H.B.Walters as Robert Beconsall. However, Dalton considered the initials RB to be those of Ralph Brooke who he thought worked with Wallis as both favoured the same legends on their bells. Further, he was of the view that Brookle worked in the Winchester area. Bells by this founder (RB) were cast for churches in Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Wiltshire and Berkshire with just one (no longer extant) in Dorset.

The RB bells on the Isle of Wight include:
Arreton tenor 1601,
Brading 5th 1604. 7th 1622.
Gatcombe 3rd 1605.
Niton 2nd 1605
Shorwell tenor 1611.

Without checking I cannot be certain that all these bells remain extant. It would be worth making comparisons with these and the Arreton and Newchurch bells both dated 1589.