[Bell Historians] TUBULAR BELLS

Roderic Bickerton rodbick at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 12:11:03 BST 2023

The ones I've seen are rope suspended which can rot through, and drop them,
I would guess any plastic rope of the right size would be a fair
replacement. The other thing that happens to them is the wooden hammers
break up. I wouldn't think as much else to do but to replace them with
wood, as plastic would not have enough mass, and metal could cause damage.
The wood looked a bit like elme to me quite dense and quite coarse grained,
but could equally be ash. Personally I wouldn't bother much with cleaning
apart from getting any birds s**** off. If you have to change the
suspension rope, be carefull they are heavy. You should find somebody with
a lot more knowledge than me out there.