[Bell Historians] McShane of Baltimore

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at swbell.net
Fri Feb 16 15:15:29 GMT 2024

Those two bells (St.Anne's, Birmingham and St.Mary's, Heaton Norris) are the only ones in the surviving McShane records that are identified as having been shipped to England.  Those records also show two being shipped to Ireland in the 1880s, two shipped to Northern Ireland, and of course the 13-bell chime for Falkirk, Scotland.  However, the records do contain about 15 entries that were listed either according to the port from which they were to be exported by a third party (e.g., New York), or in such a way that the destination country cannot now be identified.  Also the surviving records consist solely of order books, not the actual order and delivery correspondence, so there could have been occasional errors or omissions in recording orders.  Finally, there have been a couple of pages lost from two of the order books due to subsequent wear and tear.  Therefore it is conceivable that there might have been a very few more bells that were shipped to the British Isles.

Also, those records only begin in mid-1874.  Apparently the orders for bells were not segregated from orders for other foundry work (of which there was a great deal) in the years from 1856 to early 1874, and no retroactive indexing of those orders seems to have been done.  Fortunately, there does exist a typed index to the order books, which I have digitized and processed through OCR (optical character recognition) into a spreadsheet.  Analysis of this suggests that McShane probably received fewer than 100 orders for bells per year prior to 1874.  By contrast, from 1884 to 1889 there were over 700 orders per year.  This shows that the vast majority of McShane's bell production over a span of two-thirds of a century of operation is accurately reflected in the order books.
Much work remains to be done in analyzing the McShane order books, because the digitized index contains only sporadic information about the number and weight of individual bells within each order.  Fortunately, the foundry's successor firm (McShane Bell Company) and the surviving records are located right here in Saint Louis.

Carl Scott Zimmerman, Campanologist
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA -
 - 19th c. home of at least 37 bell founders or resellers
Tel. +1-314-821-8437
Webmaster for www.TowerBells.org
 * Avocation: tower bells
 * Recreation: handbells