[Bell Historians] Old frame at great st mary's cambridge

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Sat Jan 27 22:46:04 GMT 2024

Thanks for posting this, Chris, as I hadn't seen the details
of the old frame layout either.

It's consistent with what I knew.  I'm told by the late
Chris Johnson, who rang regularly on them regularly while
they were still anticlockwise, that the ringing room used to
have a raised platform on the north side from which the back
three bells were rung.  You can still see signs of where
this must have been if you lift the carpet.

The bells from the old Seage apparatus were mounted high on
the north wall behind the tenors.  It was only fitted on
eight bells – accounts vary whether this was 2-9 or 1-8 –
but was not in use by the early '50s.

Chris also said that the northwest corner around the treble
was rather cramped, with the tenor and treble ropes falling
quite close together.  This frame diagram seems to bear that
out, and there must have been a fair amount of rope draw
around that corner.  It probably also didn't help that the
clock weight shaft was in that corner, though I don't know
whether it went through the bell frame or stopped below that
level.  The bell chamber floor was entirely replaced during
the work in the 1950s, so there's no evidence left there.

Also interesting to see that the sanctus bell – we now call
it the priest's bell – was in the middle of the north wall,
and I wonder whether it was in use at all at this time.  So
far as I can see, the only rope path down to the church is
in the southeast corner of the ringing room.  But perhaps it
wasn't used during the early twentieth century.

After the rehang in the '50s, it was hung on a lever for
chiming in the middle of the east side of the bell chamber,
again between 10 and 11.  It's now mounted above the clock
bells in the southeast corner.  I think I've seen it used
once in the 28 years I've been ringing at GSM.  A shame,
really, as it's not a bad little bell; I suspect the work of
Richard Holdfield or possibly the first Tobias Norris.

RAS