[r-t] 5042 Cambridge Maximus - avoiding a dodgy wrong finish

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Apr 26 20:21:04 BST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk> wrote:
> Nevertheless, most compositions of
> Cambridge have a course with not much music somewhere, so why particularly
> focus on lack of music in the last course?

After a few hours of effort you're in a mood to be entertained. I
think some of the peals I've personally enjoyed most have
some attractive, sparkly ringing in the last few courses, often
accompanied by a slight accelerando.

And how you end is the last ringing you hear, so it's satisfying
if it's the best.

With a strong band the ringing often gets better after you've been
going for a while and have gotten used to the bells and one another.
(Granted, with a weak band the quality can go down as folks tire.)
You get more out of good music if it occurs where the band is ringing
well rather than when they're still trying to come to grips with the
bells.

I think a good argument could be made that the second course is the
ideal position for a dross course if there has to be one. Starting
with the plain course or something else familiar helps the band settle
down, but in the second course you may not yet be ringing your finest
so if you're going to waste a course that seems a sensible place to do so.

"For more than two generations the main, if not the only, function of
the word ether has been to furnish a nominative case to the verb 'to
undulate.'"   -- Lord Salisbury, _Evolution: A Retrospect_ (1894)