[BB-API] BB-API Digest, Vol 4, Issue 1

Graham John graham at complib.org
Fri Feb 15 15:56:07 GMT 2019

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 6:15 PM Ian Cresshull <ian at cresshull.co.uk> wrote:

> However I suggest that an extra attribute could be added at this point
>         <performance id="P5678" originalid="P1234" xmlns="
> http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/NS/performances#">
> This would indicate that the performance has been modified and links the
> updated performance to the id given to performance when it was originally
> created.
>
> In my program I could then check whether I already have a performance with
> an id or originalid of P1234 and would be able to decide whether this is an
> updated performance or a  new performance record.
>
> This solution has the benefit that the new attribute "originalid" would be
> an optional attribute and so should not break any existing code.

Ian's proposal would certainly solve my issue, as it would effectively
provide a unique id for a performance. However, there is a related matter,
that BellBoard should also expose a query that provides a history of
updates/corrections for a performance. This audit trail is needed by
historians before BellBoard could be considered an adequate Journal of
Record for performances. I also need it to be able to understand what has
happened when new method names or place notations have been modified in a
performance.

Regards,

Graham