Tuning of old-style rings

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Mon Apr 8 23:38:53 BST 2002

The discussion below started on Ringing Chat but I am taking the
liberty of posting my reply here as I think it is of general
interest. The thread started with a post from Dave Sullivan about the
peal of six at Broadhembury, Devon.

Dave Sullivan:
> . . . Broadhembury . . . completely-out-of-tune tenor . . .
> front 5 are old but the tenor is 1986 Taylor's! The front 5
> aren't all that bad. The tenor was cracked and replaced
> and IMHO sounds really weird (it sounds sharp).

M (who he?):
> . . . I have never noticed it being out of tune - I admit though
> that it is not a good bell (I think it was sympathetically
> tuned).

WAH:
Assuming that there is not some gross error in the tuning of the new
bell, here is a possible explanation. It could be that both Dave and
M are right . . .

I have rung on a number of old-style peals recently retuned where the
trebles sounded clearly flat to me. On analysing these peals I have
generally found that the nominals were spot on. Now, bellfounders
will assume that the pitch of each bell (the note you hear when it
rings) is half the nominal frequency, and that if the nominals are
spot on the bells will sound 'in tune'. However, academic research on
non-bell sounds suggests that if partial frequencies are not exact
harmonics - such as is the case in old-style bells - the pitch is
related in a complicated way to all the partial frequencies, not just
to one of them. I have a theory, for instance, that if a bell has a
loud flat prime it's pitch is lower than the half nominal. There are
other more complicated instances I am investigating.

I have been discussing this phenomenon with Whitechapel (it was in
bells they had retuned that I first noticed the effect). It became
clear early in the discussion that the tuner at the foundry heard
bells differently to me - he hears the nominal frequency, no doubt
through practice of listening for it, I hear an overall impression of
a different pitch. Therefore, we actually assign a slightly different
note to the same bell. I am in the process of devising some
experiments to test these effects on different listeners and try to
come to some conclusion about them. I was beginning to think that
there was something odd about my ears, and therefore I am most
interested to hear of other people who hear the same effect.

(The most recent example I have experienced of this is Marychurch,
Torquay, a Warner eight of 1877 retuned by Taylors in 1987 to which
WBF added two trebles in 1989. The WBF trebles have octave primes and
sharp hums, the original bells are old-style. Other examples are
Wallingford and Southwold.)

Bill H