[Bell Historians] Chimes

John Paul Adams J.Adams at u...
Thu Apr 11 11:00:26 BST 2002

Mike C:

>> Brentford, Old, Middlesex Were these bells moved, recast and/or
>> tuned? Up to 7th edition the church is listed as St George M, by 8th
>> St Paul. In all editions the tenor is listed as 7-1-8, Nick Bowden
>> (via DLC?) says is 6-1-24

Rupert Bear will be able to give you the details here.

>> Leigh on Sea RC - 8 15cwt Now said to be hung for swing chiming,
>> Continental style, but "clocked" at present. To at least 3rd edition
>> said to be 25cwt in E, French bells - have they been recast?

I have heard that these have been full circled, but have no further
information. David Sloman is compiling the Church Bells of Essex now that
he has retired, might be worth contacting him.

>> Radnage - again confirmation that they have been hung dead would be
>> appreciated

I will try and ask about this as I have them marked down as dead.

>> Shenley Herts - weight of tenor went up in 7th edition from 5cwt to
>> 10-0-4, have they been recast?

The Church Bells of Hertfordshire was published a few years ago, my copy is
on loan to someone, so cannot check.

>> Stamford, Lincs, St George - are these unringable or have they been
>> hung dead as in Mike Fradd's notes?

As other have said they are now "swing chiming", are we going to have to go
through all "swing chiming" chimes to see if they have full wheels and can
be full circled (eg Sevington and Chipstead etc), or half wheels or
levers?

John

--
John Paul Adams, Medical School IT Support Section,
University College London, London, WC1E 6BT.