[Bell Historians] Bell Recordings

john ketteringham john.ketteringham at n...
Tue Apr 23 04:05:06 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Thanks David
-----Original Message-----
From: D Cawley [mailto:dave at d...]
Sent: 22 April 2002 22:07
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Bell Recordings

Just for the record, Warner's catalogue of 1911 gives:

1st quarter: 3' 9" 1 ton 1 cwt A

2nd quarter: 4' 0" 1 ton 6 cwt G

3rd quarter: 4' 6" 1 ton 15 cwt 0 qr 6 lb F

4th quarter: 6' 0" 3 tons 17 cwt 3 qr 24 lb C

Big Ben: 9' 5.1/2" 16 tons 11 cwt 2 qr 20 lb* E
7' 10.1/2" high
9.5/8" soundbow

* Weight with clapper. The net weight was 15-18-1-22

"Those great tough Warner quarter chimes" as Chris Dalton once called
them; the enconia of The Times and of the organist of Westminster Abbey were
still being printed over 50 years after the disaster of the first Big Ben!
For purely sentimental reasons I wouldn't want to lose the raucous sound
of the present bell; but I'd have loved to have heard the original. I still
have a suspicion that Denison had it flogged to death (whatever he might
have said in the Press re casting faults) because of the possible
difficulties in getting it up into the tower, although the shaft is 11' 4" x
8' 2". Significantly the Mears bell is reduced to 9' 0" diameter and 7' 6"
high. The two cracks don't go right through the bell as I found when up
there recently, the square "hole" (said to be to stop the cracks speading,
but originally made to provide samples for the litigious parties of 1859)
being about 2" deep. I guess the present bell sounds now much as it has
always done.