Gilletts, Taylors and equal-tempered tierces

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Tue Apr 23 13:30:04 BST 2002

Further to Steve Ivin's suggestion of the Ottawa carillon as an
example of Gilletts tuning 880-cent tierces after Taylors had moved
to 900 cents in the 20's:

Steve and I have since had a private correspondence about the way the
Ottawa partials were measured that has left some (temporary)
uncertainty in our minds. However, last night I analysed some
recordings of the Gilletts ex-chime from St Luke's Cowley. Lovely
bells, tuned Just, with 880 cent tierces. I don't have the details
with me, but the church was built 'in the 30s' so I guess Taylors win
this one by at least a decade!

Bill H