[Bell Historians] Lost rings abroad

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Thu Aug 1 12:12:19 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

I did some work on this a few years ago - chiefly following up references i=
n the published catalogue lists from Whitechapel and Loughborough to obtain=
more detailed information from the foundries - and it is true that quite a=
lot of sets of bells were cast in England and exported with ringing fittin=
gs for installation locally. However, installation was often the problem an=
d it is doubtful if quite a lot of these "rings" were ever properly hung or=
rung.=20

George Dawson has been doing some more thorough work in recent years, inclu=
ding making enquiries regarding what's where now. In summary, I think we k=
now quite a lot about what went where, what's happened to it, and what stil=
l exists - but without actually discovering any new potentially ringable be=
lls (or even unringable ones that were once hung as rings)

Perhaps GAD could expand on this?

Chris P
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Michael Wilby=20
To: Bell Historians=20
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 12:07 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Lost rings abroad

Following on from some private correspondance, the
question of the lost rings abroad was raised. I have
been told that a look through the Whitechapel daybook
lists a number of rings of bells exported to places
such as Canada and India, but there is no knowledge of
these rings now. Does anyone have a list of such
rings - are there really rings of bells abroad about
which we know nothing?

MPAW

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20