1860s bells

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Fri Aug 16 23:01:50 BST 2002

David Bryant wrote:
>fundamentally I think that 'grotty' is when they sound nasty, which,
>it is probably fair to say, the majority of mid-Victorian rings do.
>Of course there are exceptions, but offhand I can't think of any
>1860s rings famed for their fine tone....

This could equally well be said of chimes (and bells in general) from
the American bellfoundries of the same period. Unfortunately I don't
yet have a chronological index to chimes on the GCNA Website, nor do
I have all North American chimes posted. However, from the American
foundry indexes (listed at
http://www.gcna.org/data/IXfoundries.html), one can see that American
production of chimes essentially began in the 1850s (Hooper/Blake,
Jones, Meneely/Watervliet) and expanded through the 1890s
(Meneely/Troy, McShane, Stuckstede, Vanduzen), declining after the
Great Depression and expiring in 1951. Most of the early chimes that
I have heard sound pretty bad. None of the foundries had any idea of
how to tune bells--one even boasted that all their bells were shipped
as cast. The sole exception was Meneely/Watervliet, which began to
use two-point tuning around the turn of the century, and eventually
made some respectable-sounding small carillons (23 to 31 bells). In
addition, some of their heavy chimes were later used as the basses of
fine carillons without any retuning or replacement. A couple of the
other foundries did use heavy enough profiles that some of their
chimes have been successfully tuned (not "re"tuned) as part of a
renovation/expansion project.

--
Carl Scott Zimmerman, CCP <XNS-Name:=Carl Scott Zimmerman=>
Certified Computing Professional (ICCP) Campanologist