Appleton bells / gross tuning changes

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Tue Aug 20 00:14:39 BST 2002

Someone (I forget who) asked about gross tuning of bells, up or down
by a semitone, and I quoted the case of a bell at Appleton. I have
now looked up the reference - Sharpe's Church Bells of Berkshire,
pages 10 onwards. The bell in question started life as the 4th of the
old ring of six, cast by Mears in 1817, note C. When the bells were
augmented to eight in 1854, Sharpe says on page 14 'Also, the
original 4th bell had to be lowered by a semi-tone to form the 5th of
the ring of eight. This was done by hand tuning in the tower, for
which Messrs. C. and G. Mears charged £3 3s 0d.' The weight of the
bell appears not to have changed as a result of this tuning.

In 1861, the bells were augmented to ten, by the addition of two
tenors (given by F. E. Robinson). Sharpe says on page 17 'The great
disadvantage of this augmentation to ten was that the strike notes of
the treble 4th, 5th and 8th bells had each to be raised one semi-
tone, a practise usually resulting in poor-toned bells. Especially so
was this in the case of the 5th bell at Appleton, which in the 1817
ring had sounded the musical note C sharp, had been flattened to C
natural in 1854, and sharpened again to C sharp in 1861. It was
therefore decided to recast these four bells as soon as funds
permitted.'

(The fifth bell was not recast, but replaced in 1874 with a Rudhall
bell from St Mary Magdelene in Oxford, which itself was recast in
1875.)

So, like Dr. Johnson's dancing dog, 'we ought not to ask if it was
well done, just marvel that it was done at all'.

Bill H