[Bell Historians] 19th century bells

D Cawley dave at d...
Wed Aug 21 00:41:14 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

The amazing thing about Swan is that these are the very bells which were al=
ienated from their original and historic home amongst other reasons that th=
ey were a poor example of their founder's (Rudhall's) work and that tuning =
would produce no significant improvement !

DLC=20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Michael Wilby=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: 20 August 2002 09:31
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] 19th century bells

Swan are a fine ring. The back 12 bear a similarity to their original fam=
iliar sound, however some judicous "butchery" on the tuning machine has don=
e them a world of good - especially the tenor. Doubtless the tower has some=
thing to do with it, although considering its internal construction of glas=
s and concrete I can't imagine it is of huge benefit. The acoustics interna=
lly - and externally - are good: all sixteen can be heared in changes. I su=
spect David was alluding to somewhere much closer to home..... MPAW --- Geo=
rge Dawson wrote:=20
---
The Swan Tower??
GAD