Temperament

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Fri Aug 23 14:13:05 BST 2002

I have just read a newly published book called Temperament, by Stuart
Isacoff (Faber 2002) which attempts to do for the history of tuning
what Longitude did for time-measurement. It is a merry romp through
the history of tuning, science, western philosphy etc. and seems a
good holiday read for those interested in the subject.

It has a chapter 'So Many Bells' which starts 'Winchester Cathedral
shuddered and roared as seventy men, dripping with sweat and urging
each other on . . .'. Anticipating a description of the first peal on
the Grimethorpe 12, I read on to discover the chapter was actually
mostly about church organs.

Still, the book is a good if rambling introduction to tuning history.

Bill H