[Bell Historians] Marston Bigot

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Sun Aug 25 19:42:58 BST 2002

In a message dated 25/08/02 17:20:02 GMT Daylight Time, djb122 at y...
writes:

> I see from Matthew Higby's website that Marston Bigot are to have a new
> Gillett profile whitechapel eight, incorporating the treble of the old
> six (as the 3rd?). Perhaps Matthew could provide additional information
> on the project, such as who the existing treble is by, and what is to
> happen to the old bells?

The old treble is by Warner in 1912. It is a very good bell and will easily
simpson tune. It will form the 4th of the new 8. It is intended to use it at
the moment and if it sticks out - replace it at a later date. 4 of the back 5
mears bells are cracked in the crowns (most probably caused in 1912 when
Warners smashed the canons off & removed the CICS's ). The only one which
isn't cracked is the 4th but its fundamental is over 250Hz flat!

> I have rung there, but can't remember anything much about the old bells.

Overall they were a rather strange ring. Individually they were mostly poor
but as a ring the were very percussive and easy to strike. They were a very
popular peal tower - being in the middle of nowhere helps also!

Matthew

They are still fund raising like mad - anyone willing to part with a few quid
for this very worthy project - contact Helen Parkin, Foghamshire House,
Trudoxhill, Frome.