Chiming Profiles

fartwell2000 fartwell2000 at y...
Sat Feb 16 01:24:07 GMT 2002

--- In bellhistorians at y..., "David Bryant" <djb122 at y...> wrote:
> Does anyone know when Taylor's started casting the front ends of
chimes to
> lighter profiles than they would rings? Certainly in Victorian
times and
> into the true-harmonic era no distinction was made, but they began
casting
> lighter front ends at some point, I think, in the 1910s-20s.
Obviously, this
> gave them an advantage when it came to quoting - they could quote
cheaper.
> Gilletts were not slow to catch on and do the same, but the exact
dates of
> events remain elusive...
>
> Anyone know?
>
> David

The 1924 Taylor eight(23.5cwt) at Altham,Lancs (hung for
chiming)are all cast to ringing profiles,and the bells have never
been hung for ringing,as the tower is far to small to hold such a
ring,and the area has been heavily mined over the years.
In a way,the bells are wated as they sound excellent when chimed in
changes.
I have not personally come across a more modern Taylor chime than
this in which all the bells are cast to ringing profiles.
Alan