FW: G&J 'Major Thirds'

Andrew Aspland aaspland at y...
Tue Feb 19 19:09:08 GMT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: aaspland [mailto:aaspland at s...]
Sent: 17 February 2002 19:16
To: Bellhistorians
Subject: G&J 'Major Thirds'

Dear All
What do we know about Gillett and Johnston and their attempts at major third
bells? Some of their tenors have a distinctive major third sound epsecially
those slightly earlier ones (1915 to 1925). At Birstall, Yorkshire there is
a 22cwt Eflat eight cast by G&J in 1919 - I have not done an electronic
analysis but to my ear the tenor fifth and fourth have a major third quality
and the others minor - this would mean that all the thirds are in the Eflat
scale (except the treble). Has anyone got any actual figures and how did
G&J achieve this sound wiht a bell of fairly traditional shape?
Andrew