Gillets and crown tuning

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Wed Feb 20 08:48:11 GMT 2002

In answer to George's recent post, tuning right up in the shoulder is
usually done to flatten the prime, not control the tierce.

Re the propensity of Gilletts bells to break due to thinness in this
area, Elphick quotes a case of a Gilletts bell that was only a small
fraction of an inch thick at the shoulder. Of the six peals I quoted
in my previous post, two have had some sort of problem. Heywood were
originally a Gillett eight of 1911. The tenor broke while ringing,
and Gilletts replaced the whole peal in 1921, supposedly for free.
And at Banstead, one of the bells was replaced four years after
installation because it 'broke in the tower'.

Bill H