[Bell Historians] Preservation lists

Michael Wilby michael_wilby at y...
Thu Feb 21 12:21:03 GMT 2002

David Bryant <djb122 at y...> wrote:
...Ones which
immediately spring to mind are the two Beverley towers, York,
Wolverhampton, Shrewsbury, Worcester. Obviously, no one in their right
mind would alter most of these, but you can't rely on ringers being in
their right minds. In the 1970s there was a serious proposal to scrap 6,
10, 11 and 12 at York and remodel into a lighter twelve based on the
light eight. Fortunately, sense prevailed in this case!

Wolverhampton - round Birmingham it is said that they fall on the boundary between being extremely grand, and a pile of junk: you either love them or loathe them! My lasting memory of them is the strong harmonics from the back bells (sounding almost like major chords), which makes roll-ups sound very odd to me.