[Bell Historians] Fourteens

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Fri Feb 22 11:20:46 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Which all goes to show why so few people really know how to ring properly o=
n five and six nowadays!

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Michael Wilby=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 11:02 AM
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Fourteens

MPAW:One project I am more concerned about is the provision of two trebl=
es
(to provide a light 10!) at Shoreditch

DRL:
I gather that this scheme has now been abandoned. Instead, plans are bein=
drawn up to spend large amounts of money to (1) improve the go of the bel=
ls,
(2) improve the internal acoustics, both of which are in bad need of
attention. This has been a long time coming, but I think the SRCY wanted =
do both jobs at once as part of one project, so a good deal of co-ordinat=
ion
was necessary. It may seem long overdue, but it does sound as if things a=
re
moving in the right direction. I consider Shoreditch to be a very pretty
ring of bells - just a shame that inside they are hard to recognise as su=
ch!

A very long time in coming. What are they doing - having a new frame? I=
don't recall the go being all that bad, and the acoustics could be sorted =
without too much trouble - not a situation much worse than St Seps - it is =
just that the job was never finished... I do believe that they COULD be on=
e of the best 12s in London, but...

DJB: I have to say I agree with Dickon on the matter of fourteens. Fourte=
en
is a musically nasty number, being two octaves minus the top note

DRL:
I don't think that the musicality has much to do with it. It is the rhyth=
that feels uncomfortable. After all, 16 is 2 octaves plus 1 note ... and =
enjoy 16 bell ringing.

Agreed - it's nothing really to do with musicality it's all about rhythm,=
which is why the Bullring augmentation was to 16 not 15. Fourteen is not =
an easy rhythm, though in my experience one gets used to it (eventually!); =
16 is much better, being 4 sets of 4.

In the same vein, though I like 10-bell ringing very much, I do think the=
rhythm is inferior to either 8 or 12, though with a row shorter than on 14=
this is less detectable.

Wow, hasn't this one strayed off-topic!

M.

Get personalised at My Yahoo!.=20
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20