[Bell Historians] True-harmonic twelves

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Fri Feb 22 11:27:35 GMT 2002

I predict that Bill's going to disagree vehemently with you on this one
Chris! He's looked at a number of rings by Taylor from the years leading
up to 1896, and his analyses show how close Taylor's were getting in the
early 1890s. Admittedly they do sound different. No doubt Bill will be
able to shed more light on why this is - is there a critical point of
accuracy of tuning past which the bells sound true harmonic?

Personally, my favourite bells are the Taylor ones from the very early
1900s. I rang at Beverley St Mary earlier in the week - hadn't been
there for a while, but they are as magnificent as I remember them.