Tipton and other Lost Rings

Tim Jackson Tim at t...
Sun Jun 16 13:56:32 BST 2002

It was me who sent in the grid reference shown in TowerBase for Tipton. It
is based on reliable information provided to me by someone who rings in the
area, so I am as confident as I can be that it is correct. The church was
still shown on OS map 139 that I borrowed from the library, but the map was
probably around 10 years old and it was only shown as a "+" (i.e. no tower
or spire).

Over the past 12 months or so, I have sent in well in excess of 100 grid
references for Lost Rings, based on personal knowledge and information
derived from many different sources and people (thanks again if you were one
of these). So, if you spot any that are wrong then you can blame me.
Better still, drop me a line and I will get it corrected.

There are still around 30 towers listed with no known grid reference, for
which I currently have insufficient information to be confident of the exact
location. If you have any information that could help me then this would be
gratefully accepted. If possible, I would prefer a description of the
location as well as the grid reference, plus any other supporting
information that you may have.

Many thanks,
Tim

Balscote, Oxfordshire, Home Farm
Birkenhead, Cheshire, S Mary
Bolton, Lancashire, S Bartholomew
Bolton, Lancashire, S George
Bolton, Lancashire, Saviour
Bradford, Yorkshire, S James, Bolton
Bradford, Yorkshire, S John, Little Horton
Burnley, Lancashire, Holy Trinity, Habergham Eaves
Carlisle, Cumberland, S Stephen
Earlsheaton, Yorkshire, S Peter
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, S Andrew
Hoddlesden, Lancashire, S Paul
Jarrow on Tyne, Durham, S Peter
Leeds, Yorkshire, S Francis of Assisi, Holbeck
Leeds, Yorkshire, S Matthew, Holbeck
Leicester, Leicestershire, S George
Leicester, Leicestershire, S Mark
Lincoln, Lincolnshire, S Peter at Arches
Little Heath, Essex, S James
Liverpool, Lancashire, S Peter
Liverpool, Lancashire, Emmanuel, Everton
Liverpool, Lancashire, S Mary, Grassendale
Manchester, Lancashire, S John
Manchester, Lancashire, Holy Trinity, Hulme
Plymouth, Devon, Dockyard Chapel, Devonport
Plymouth, Devon, S George, Stonehouse
Rochdale, Lancashire, S Alban
Shrewsbury, Shropshire, S Michael & All Angels
Wakefield, Yorkshire, S John the Baptist