Taylors and the use of tuning forks

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Fri Jun 28 23:07:41 BST 2002

Michael Wilby quotes Jim Phillips' suggestion of some months ago (on
ringing chat) that bells tuned with tuning forks sound better than
those tuned with 'electronic instruments' and cites the example of
pre- and post-second world war Taylors.

Of course, one big change that Taylors made, round about the 1930s,
was to move from just to equal tempered tierces. I guess this might
have something to do with it. I am told by experienced and
knowledgeable carilloneurs that instruments with equal and just
tierces are quite different in character.

By the way, there has been some discussion of Nigel Taylor's RW
article on the use of temperaments in bell tuning. Is anyone on this
list able to distinguish between true-harmonic rings tuned equal,
just etc. without taking measurements? (Be honest, because I might
ask to put your auditory skills to the test!)

Bill H