Tenor notes in Dove

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Sat Jun 29 10:34:55 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

I'm not one to belittle Ron Dove - indeed, in hindsight and with the curren=
t offerings for comparison Ron's achievement seems all the more remarkable =
- but Bill is right to point out that the tenor notes come from a range of =
sources of varying reliability.

Ron checked the tenor note against his tuning forks when he rang at a new t=
ower. But just occasionally he forgot, and I remember one occasion when we=
were about half a mile from the church he said "Oh bother (or similar), I =
forgot to take the note of the tenor". Geoff Armitage then sang the tenor =
note (or what he thought it was) with a loud and bellowing "LAAAAAAAAaaaaaa=
aaa" and Ron pitched it with his fork.

Chris P