[Bell Historians] Hastings Stays

Michael Wilby michael_wilby at y...
Sat Mar 2 13:15:55 GMT 2002

Sapcote, Leics, have sliding blocks on a rail with normal stays.
The Hastings stay left another legacy - the Taylor pattern headstock. The problem doesn't become apparent until reaching the front bells on ten and twelve, where the bells themselves are hung out a long way, with have large wheels, and the resulting long thin stays that have to be fitted. At Towcester we have this problem; the stays on the front four, which bear closer resemblance to matchsticks than stays, have been broken numerous times - in fairness it isn't even the fault of the learner/instructor... it only requires one reasonble bump to crack the stay (one missed sally can destroy a stay) - the bells "wobble" when set even on good stays! The Whitechapel pattern (stay on side and offset slider-board) is a much more sensible solution. When we have the time and inclination we will reposition the stays and sliders on the front four. Anyone else found similar problems?
MPAW.

Andrew Aspland <aaspland at y...> wrote: The runners at Ewerby, Lincs. are also fabricated (Taylors 1896). In the
previous year at Darrington (Yorks) they fitted sliding blocks on a rail
instead.
Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael A Williams [mailto:michael at m...]
Sent: 28 February 2002 14:50
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Hastings Stays

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, George Dawson wrote:

> Talking today at Taylors the view there is that Tugby, Leics may be
earlier. The Vicar there (& Skeffington) was the Revd Hastings Horne who
invented them. The runners at Tugby & Burton Lazars were fabricated units,
not castings.

Indeed, I think that is the place of which I was thinking. I seem remember
there was a similar discussion on the change-ringers' mailing list a year
or two ago.

--
Michael