Buoy bells

David & Mary Kelly bells at k...
Sat Mar 2 19:10:17 GMT 2002

charset="Windows-1252"

I went to the scrap metal yard to look at the bells just over a week ago. T=
he bells are by three founders, Taylors, Mears and Gillett & Johnston. The =
Taylor button tops are okay; these should make reasonable ringing bells. Th=
e G&J bell has a 4" diameter hole in the button top. I decided that this mi=
ght make the bell unusable for ringing. The three Mears bells consist of a =
normal casting and two sand castings. The crown and button top arrangement =
is such that I also considered these unsuitable for full circle ringing. Ho=
wever Nigel Taylor of Whitechapel has now inspected them and it might be po=
ssible to use at least one of these as a full-cicle ringing bell.

Dave

---