[Bell Historians] St Thomas's Bristol.

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Tue Mar 19 09:05:03 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Thanks - good to have details for St.Thomas, which is clearly non-standard.=
I only meant to imply that these were hung in two rows of four in parallel=
pits - not that they were the same as Larkhall. As I said, the USUAL arra=
ngement is 3-6, 2/1/8/7 because this divides the pit widths into roughly eq=
ual overall sizes for each nest of four.

I've got quite a bit of information on both the Headingleys if people are i=
nterested.=20

St.Chad's (Far Headingley) was a Grimthorpe job, the church (consecrated on=
11 Jan.1868) being paid for by the man himself. It originally had three be=
lls (6-8) of 1867 - presumably in a "Doncaster frame" of that date. Five mo=
re bells were added in 1872, the ring of six being opened on 24 Sept.1872. =
The treble (dated 1875) was not added until early in 1876, and the first pe=
al was on 22 Dec.1877. The bells were all recast in 1933.

The old front six from Leeds Parish church was installed at St.Michael's by=
Charles Oliver (the Whitechapel bellhanger) in about 1841. Present bells c=
ompleted 13 Dec 1890

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Mrthigby at a...=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 11:23 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] St Thomas's Bristol.

In a message dated 18/03/02 20:09:37 GMT Standard Time, c.j.pickford at talk=
21.com writes:

St.Thomas, Bristol. The usual arrangement is 3,4,5 and 6 in one
row and 2,1,8 and 7 in the other

Sorry Chris - They are actually 2,3,4,5 and 6,7,1,8.

Cheers

Matthew

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20