[Bell Historians] Historical lists of peals / founders

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Mon Mar 25 15:53:04 GMT 2002

I've been refraining from chipping in on this - and I'll have to be brief.
Just two points:

1. Yes, the committee did do some work on this - and John Baldwin came up
with a sample template, quite cleverly linked to the Dove database material
to identify the churches. Very much a basic or minimum data format - but not
easy to customise to add fields. There was supposed to be some trial work
using this, but I don't think it ever happened.

2. The real problem we identified with trying to collect stuff from existing
databases and spreadsheets was inconsistency of field content and
expression. If ever the national register happens, it will probably be
easier/safer to re-key - or rather, for someone knowledgeable and
intelligent to re-key! - instead of simply importing data of very different
type and format.

I, for one, would welcome a standard format. I'm starting to put a lot of my
stuff on spreadsheets, but they don't all contain the same fields etc

CP