[Bell Historians] Steel Bells

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Sat May 4 22:01:17 BST 2002

In a message dated 04/05/02 21:31:00 GMT Daylight Time, djb122 at y...
writes:

> Once they had been removed from their tower there was little
> likelihood of them being hung as a ring again.

As the person who removed them from the tower - I have to say there were high
hopes of getting them rehung. We investigated several homes such as Lyncombe
(Bath) as a ringing centre and also Broughton Giffard & Tormarton. Sadly none
came to fruition. I was storing the bells in my Garage at Chilcompton for
some time then Bob Parker looked after a couple for a while. In the end we
ran out of space so decided to sell them.

I have to admit - I was disappointed they were not rehung for ringing - they
went like tops & sounded no worse than some normal bells I have rung. One day
all the rings will sound the same & we will lead a boring life as ringers.

Ho hum

Matthew