[Bell Historians] Sunderland, South Hylton

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Thu May 9 10:12:49 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

No - BL (here) means Bell's Life in London, the "sporting" magazine.

It seems most likely that the peal was rung on the Mears eight at Holy Trin=
ity, Sunderland

----- Original Message -----=20
From: mikechester_uk=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 6:42 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Sunderland, South Hylton

I've been doing some work for the Felstead project and have found an=20
entry for a peal of Grandsire Tripes at St Mary, South Hylton,=20
Sunderland on 4/3/1845, with a comment of BL; 9.iii.45.

I assume that BL is British Library???

Anyway, as far as we know, Sunderland has only ever had the rings of=20
bells that are currently in place, i.e. Roker (the best of course!),=20
Bishopwearmouth, St Igs and H.T., and that South Hylton has a small=20
chime of 8 bells. To complicate things further, I have found a=20
reference to the fact that the church existing at the time of=20
the "peal" was burnt down and replaced with another building a few=20
years later.

Can anyone shed any light on this peal?

Thanks

Mike Cheser

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20