[Bell Historians] Oldest Bells and Fittings

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Tue May 21 12:44:21 BST 2002

At St John, York, there are a pair of bells of 1408 by John Potter of
York. The tenor is dated (and according to Fred Sharpe is the 5th
earliest dated bell in the country - does anyone know whether any of the
four earlier hung for ringing?). It and the 5th are visibly a pair, and
are beautifully cast. The founder has been assigned on their similarily
to the bell at Holy Trinity Priory, just up the road, which bears the
founder's name.

Also in the ring at St John is a very roughly cast bell apparently of
c.1350 (2nd of six). The other three bells are a reputedly C16 bell,
very short waisted and poorly cast (4th), by an unknown founder; a 1633
William Oldfield (3rd); and a 1978 Taylor treble which was formerly 3/8
at St Martin-le-Grand. The frame and fittings are all by Taylor's 1955,
except for the treble's clapper and headstock which were supplied in
1987 when it was installed here - it replaced an underweight Oldfield
bell.

David