Early Warner bells

John Walton je.walton at v...
Sun Nov 10 20:08:53 GMT 2002

I'm sure someone on this list will be able to enlighten me on the early
history of bell founding by of the Warner dynasty.

At Wooburn we have a 1790 bell, damaged canons removed in 1980, now retuned
as part of the current restoration. I understand that this is an early
example of Warner's work - are there any earlier surviving bells? I had
always presumed that the bell would have been cast at Cripplegate, but I am
led to believe that the foundry wasn't set up until later - so where was it
cast? Whitechapel perhaps?

- - -

On a completely seperate matter, is there a current 'Bells of Sussex' (or
equivelent) in print? Where could I lay my hands on such a thing?

Thanks in advance,
John