[Bell Historians] Dove inexactitudes

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Tue Oct 1 18:28:44 BST 2002

I agree wholeheartedly that the "tuned or finished weight - without
fittings" is an ideal which we strive to know. But then what should
we do if that weight is not available but we have in hand an exact
weight which we know was measured differently? And what should we do
about the difference between bells with canons and bells without,
when the presence of canons affects the weight but not the profile?

And just to throw another spanner in the works: Why is it, really,
that we are so concerned about tenor weight? Is it not that this
relatively simple number does better than anything else at giving us
a rough estimate of how much effort it takes to ring a certain set of
bells? Without this, the timing of a peal or quarter is meaningless,
for example.

Notice particularly the word "rough". Getting finicky about pounds
and ounces doesn't help the estimate of effort, because we haven't
considered things like bearing type and condition, tuck-up in the
yoke, roping, etc., &c. The fact that those items are less important
than tenor weight certainly doesn't make them unimportant at all.
Perhaps for purposes of Dove (and of peal reporting) we should only
state the tenor weight to the nearest half-cwt and leave the
pound-counting to the bellfounders and statisticians. Or, if that's
not the direction you want to go, should we instead be _adding_
information about bearings, crowns, draught, and so forth?

_____
At 16:22 +0100 on 2002/10/01, Chris Pickford wrote in part:

>I agree (Carl's final paragraph) about the use of indicators to
>denote what weight we're talking about, EXCEPT that in "Dove" we
>should always be dealing with the tuned or finished weight - without
>fittings. So his suggestion could be useful where a range of weights
>are discussed - but not in "Dove"
>
>CP