[Bell Historians] Dove inexactitudes

Mike Chester mike at m...
Wed Oct 2 10:21:37 BST 2002

I think that, as we are all "Bell Historians" we need to be careful
to keep a clear perspective with regard to why Dove is bought and not
put our own interests too highly.

I suspect that the VAST majority are bought for one or more of these
reasons:

1 To log where the purchaser has rung
2 To be used as a guide to where bells are in order to organise an
outing, (hence the OS Refs are a very welcome addition to the latest
edition and the counties section should remain)
3 Allied to this, to ensure that the rings of bells that are chosen
for an outing are likely to correspond to what is needed given the
experience of the ringers that are to come on that outing, i.e.
approximate bell weights as suggested by the tenor. (I know that
there are towers that have a proportionately heavy tenor but not a
significant number).

If there are to be a number of inexperienced ringers, (and to be
frank the odd specific experienced one!)on an outing I was asked to
organise I would avoid heavy and very light rings. These ringers are
on the outing to enjoy themselves, experiencing ringing in new places
and not be scared of carrying out the ringing they are asked to do.
This does not mean that they should not be challenged, but we need to
remember that it is the local ringers that have to pick up the mess
caused by poor ringing, whether it is comments about the striking
from locals or broken stays, etc.

What Dove is generally NOT bought for is to have every single tower's
tenor exact to the nearest gram. It is a relatively small number of
ringers that wish this information. To most 7 1/2cwt is as accurate
as they need and conjecturing a weight of, say, 7-1-16 without clear
supporting evidence is meaningless to them.

What Dove has to do is to sell enough copies to more than cover the
production, storage and distribution costs that are involved, (I
belive that this point has been passed for the latest edition), and
possibly to produce income that can be used for "up-front" costs for
the following edition. Therefore it has to appeal to ringers and if
they are saying, "We don't like this" or "We want this included"
their comments must be very seriously considered. If, as I have also
noticed, no-one I have met likes the way that rings of 12 +6b/#treble
are described then personal thought have to be put aside and they
should be put into a form that they do like, aka the previous way.

Mike