Warner's bells

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Wed Oct 9 22:55:22 BST 2002

I was reminded by the various discussions about Warner's bells by a
section from Chris Dalton's Church Bells of Dorset, concerning
Bryanston (cast 1898). I quote:

"Before 1995 the heaviest six bells formed a powerful old-style ring,
unusually fine of its kind and constituting perhaps the most
important work by Warner's foundry in Dorset. (Following a WBF retune
in 1995) . . . the original distinctive character of the bells has
been lost - emptied out, it could be said - and a gentler and less
standardised approach to one of Warner's best rings would undoubtably
have been more appropriate."

I can't comment on the above, as I have not heard the bells, and have
not (yet) made a study of Warner's tuning. Interesting opinion though
from a respected authority.

Bill H