[Bell Historians] Wells

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Wed Oct 30 00:39:32 GMT 2002

In a message dated 29/10/02 19:39:45 GMT Standard Time, a.bull at s...
writes:

> According to the notes in my "towers grabbed" records, compiled from
> Ringing World articles and correspondence with Whitechapel, the tenor
> was rehung "between the wars", and in 1946 the remaining bells had
> their canons removed in the tower, and were fitted with new metal
> headstocks. As you say, it is strange that there isn't an exact
> weight for the ninth, though the tenor weight could be seen as having
> been rounded to the nearest eighth hundredweight.

The tenor and 9th were rehung in 1945 (the tenor with a new headstock made to
the smale pattern as Sherbourne). The other bells were fitted with cast iron
headstocks when the 6th was recast in 1969 - hence the most recent design of
WBF headstocks. There is a photograph in the tower of the back bells outside
the Cathedral in 1891 (Blackbourne & Greenleaf are also in the photo) so the
bells definately left the Cathedral then. I seem to remember the weight on
the 1891 peal board is 57+cwt - Ill check when I next go.

> Perhaps MRTH could get up there with a large spanner and a set of
> industrial scales, like they did at Congresbury ?

Just bide your time - they may leave the tower for a while in the not too
distant future............

Matthew