[Bell Historians] Glastonbury St John ex-7/8

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Wed Apr 2 20:24:49 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

The other key point to make about these bells is that they are not listed i=
n Taylors records for the period - for the parishes, for Llewellins and Jam=
es, for Petter or anyone else. Pretty conclusive, I think, that they were n=
ot cast at Loughborough

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Susan Dalton=20
To: Bell Historians=20
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 8:17 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Glastonbury St John ex-7/8

Further to MRTH's note here is a list of bells that I am aware of by this=
=20
founder:
Cherington (Glos) 4/5, 1870, for JW Gardner of Tetbury
Yeovilton, 6/6, 1872, for Petter of Yeovil
Glastonbury St John ex-7/8 and ex-8/8, 1872, for L & J (the latter recast=
by
Taylor as early as 1877)
Lamphey, (Pembs), 2/4. 3/4 and 4/4, 1874, for L & J.

All these bells are (or were) good castings and well shaped. They certain=
ly
bear no resemblance to what Taylors were doing in the early 1870s, and
frankly they are superior to bells being turned out by any of the mainstr=
eam
foundries at that time. I have wondered about a founder in Bristol or
Bridgwater (earlier bells cast there also had radial canons). But whoever=
he
was, he was content to put other firms' names on his bells rather than hi=
own. All very mysterious.

L & J were certainly casting large bells themselves in the 1860s. Charlyn=
ch
was probably one of them and there are others at Middlezoy, Stapleton
(Bristol) and St Nicholas, (Glam). But they also went on buying in bells
until the latter part of 1874, by which time they were turning out (fairl=
y)
decent shaped and competently cast bells of their own.

Christopher Dalton

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20