[Bell Historians] High Ham

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Fri Apr 4 18:47:18 BST 2003

In a message dated 04/04/2003 18:27:09 GMT Daylight Time, djb122 at y...
writes:

> I see that this week's RW mentions the restoration of the heavy five at High
> Ham (which, in true Somerset fashion, proved quite a bit lighter than
> reputed!) Does anyone know exactly what was done? it mentions that the 4th
> was badly cracked, and I wonder whether this was a recent development. I
> rang there a few times three or four years ago, and I don't remember
> noticing that it sounded cracked.

The 4th was welded and the treble tuned. All five have been rehung with new
fittings in the old frame. The 4th had been badly cracked for years - see
tower advisors report in past B&W reports.

MRTH