[Bell Historians] Library Committee's learned journal

djb122uk djb122 at y...
Mon Apr 14 10:56:57 BST 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Arcubus" <markregan at a...>
wrote:
> Are you talking about a commissioning editor or a copy editor?
These are
> different activities. How do the criteria for successful editing
differ
> between an esoteric interest and a serious mainline interest? Surely
> good editing is a constant whatever the discipline.

In this case, one person is presumably going to fulfill both roles,
but I think both aspects are important and require knowledge of the
subject, although more so in the case of a commissioning editor. I
don't think there is any difference in editing requirements between
an esoteric interest and a serious mainline one, but in either case
the editor needs to understand the subject matter.