Reclamation Yards

Andrew Aspland aaspland at y...
Thu Apr 17 08:23:51 BST 2003

Whilst off work the other day I was so bored that I watched Bargain Hunt -
they were in the west country and in an architectural reclamation yard and
showed very briefly a bell.

Andy Thornton's is such a place near Halifax. I went along to have a snoop
around and this is what I found:

THOMAS MEARS OF LONDON FOUNDER 1836
with canons, dia 27", inc clapper

GILLETT, BLAND & Co 1880
4 canons, dia 19.5", external clock hammer mark

CAST BY GILLETT, BLAND & Co 1878
4 canons, dia 25", external clock hammer mark

CAST BY GILLETT, BLAND & Co 18??
4 canons, dia c24"

WILLIAM BLEWS AND SONS. BIRMINGHAM 1857.
6 canons still suspended from beam, dia c24", painted yellow!

There were some numbers on the crowns of the G&B bells but I could not
decipher them.

The Mears bell was priced at £2500 as were the set of three G&B bells.

So where are they from? If the G&B bells are a set (almost certain) then
they might be traceable.

Andrew