[Bell Historians] Reclamation Yards

Andrew Aspland aaspland at y...
Sat Apr 19 08:53:47 BST 2003

I have taken photographs and I was in two minds whether it was 1857 or
1867 - the lettering was definitely "florid" - a sprig on every end of
everything!
Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Pickford [mailto:c.j.pickford at t...]
Sent: 17 April 2003 08:50
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Reclamation Yards

An interesting find, Andrew. The serial numbers on the crowns of the Gillett
bells should make it very straightforward to trace them in the records and
identify them with certainty. Worth another look?

1857 is early for Blews - Apart from one bell of 1852 (at Cofton Hackett)
there are no others before 1867. It would be good to confirm the date of
this bell and, if possibly, establish it's origins. Thw 1852 bell has Roman
lettering, but the later ones invariably (as far as one can say without
having seen them all) are in Victorian gothic lettering. Would be
interested to know what sort of lettering occurs on this bell

I, for one, would be very grateful if you could take another look and obtain
a bit more information on these bells

CP